What is a Parent & Teacher Association (PTA)?
The PTA is an organisation that you, as parents/guardians, automatically become members of once your child has started at the primary school. You will be pleased to hear that there is no joining fee, and how involved you become within the organisation is up to you.
Why have a PTA?
The main aim of the PTA is to help support the school. It can achieve this in a variety of ways:
It can help parents to…
- improve the school
- get to know each other – whilst taking part in a range of activities
- find out more about how the school works
- fundraise for extra items or services to enrich the children’s education
It can help children to…
- receive a richer education as a result of items bought by the PTA
- take part in a variety of social and educational activities that wouldn’t have otherwise been available
It can help teachers to…
- reach potential volunteers and enthusiasts who may help with school projects
How has St Matthew’s PTA achieved this?
Looking around the school it is easy to see where the PTA has made a real difference over the years – playground equipment, the school stage, new books in classrooms, children’s anti-bullying policy. These are just a few examples – there are many more.
The PTA’s most visible activities are its events, which serve to raise funds for PTA projects as well as providing fun and entertainment to pupils and their families. Our regular events include:
- Winter Fair and Summer Extravaganza
- Cake sales
- Social events for parents (band night, quiz night, etc)
How can you help?
There are so many different ways! By coming along to events and supporting them, through to volunteering to help at a particular event, through to donating things when you are asked to!
We are always looking for new people to help and inspire us.
If you are interested or would like more information then please do not hesitate to contact us in one of the following ways:
- by email – email@example.com
- by speaking to us in the playground
- by coming along to meetings